Winter weather is here, make sure your truck is ready. Here are a few tips to make sure you are properly prepared:
- If your truck uses DEF fluid (UREA), do NOT add any type of winter conditioner to the DEF tank. The DEF system has a built-in heater that will keep the DEF fluid at the proper temperature. If any fluid other that DEF is added to this system, severe damage will result.
- Using fuel system additive labeled winter conditioner is required when cold weather arrives. Follow the directions on the container to properly mix the additive in the fuel tanks. All Melton locations will have quarts of winter fuel conditioner available. Contact Melton’s Road Service for help in purchasing some on the road if necessary.
- Proper tire pressure and visual inspections of the tires will prevent tire problems due to the extreme cold temperatures. Save yourself time by checking your tires (with a Tire gauge)!
- Raise the hood and give the engine area a good inspection. Look for worn fan belts, leaking radiator hoses, or anything that looks like trouble.
- Check windshield fluid and wiper blades to make winter weather a more tolerable. When you go to a Melton terminal, have these items checked. Tell the inspection staff if you are having any problems with the heater/defroster system. Let’s gets this stuff fixed early and not wait until it is 10 degrees outside!
- Chain laws are in effect. Make sure you have cables or chains on your truck — it’s a DOT requirement.