For over-the-road drivers, summer is an amazing time to take advantage of the weather and the sightseeing opportunities! Whether you’re on the road or on home time, here are some fun ideas to try this summer:
- Geocaching – Using a GPS, you can search for treasure boxes that are hidden all over the world. You just need to download the geocaching app on your phone and then follow clues and use your GPS to find the hidden prize! Caches are either in plain sight or cleverly hidden. We recommend starting off with an easy/in plain sight cache to learn the game and then don’t be afraid to tackle those less than obvious caches! Geocaching is lots of fun and a great way to discover the hidden nooks and crannies around you!
- Fitness Trackers – There are lots of fitness trackers on the market today which allow you to track your progress and to challenge and compete with friends and family. This is a fun and convenient way to keep yourself motivated and to keep in touch with those back home while making the most out of the great weather! Most fitness trackers come with a free mobile and/or web app that will keep track of your progress for you. If the tracker you buy does not come with an app just check out some free ones like Run Keeper and sync them with your device.
- Pokémon GO– has finally surpassed Twitter in daily number of users with an estimated 9.5 million users per day. So are you wondering what all the craze is surrounding the new game? For most players, the appeal is the interesting twist over most games in that players must set off and move around their physical world. It is free to play and uses a mobile device’s GPS capability to locate, capture, battle, and train virtual creatures, called Pokémon, who appear on the screen as if they were in the same real-world location as the player. For many players, Pokémon brings on considerable nostalgia and reminds them of their time in middle school. If you choose to play, you are starting off on a good foot. As an over-the-road driver, you have an advantage over other players in that your job takes you all across the country every day! You can use the app at truck stops, shipping destinations, and any time you’re not on the road! If you have kids, this is also a good way to have something you can bond over while away from home. So get out there and catch ‘em all! Just remember: DON’T PLAY WHILE DRIVING!!!
- Favorite Tunes – Make a CD of your favorite songs to take on the road! Or set up a playlist on your MP3 player so that you are never without a good song.
- Get up early and watch the sunrise or the sunset for the day– If you are active on social media you will notice that someone is always having a photo contest. Grab a picture of a great sunset or sunrise and see if you can win!
- Set a goal and complete a home project– This can be a great way to keep the kiddies at home busy while you are out on the road. Set goals for everyone to meet for when you next get home time. For example, get 2 copies of the same book and see who can read the most before you make it back. The reality is as a truck driver you probably can’t make it home every night to read to the kids, so this is a way to stay involved in what the kids are doing.
- Visit a local farmer’s market– If you are familiar with the next place your load is taking you, take a minute to look up local farmers markets that might be going on when you arrive. This is a great way to get some fresh food at lower prices that truckers usually do not have access to.
The important thing is to try new activities and make the most of your summer!