Melton Truck Lines is pleased to offer our flatbed drivers many great benefits to our new drivers, and one we are especially proud of is our Apprenticeship Program. Melton’s Apprenticeship program was registered through the Department of Labor in December of 2016 and launched on January 2, 2017. As of December 2018, Melton has produced 1292 trained professionals through the program. Our company employs about 30% veterans and we seek to expand this number each year. Melton drivers have benefited immensely by giving new drivers more confidence, training, and opportunities to learn and develop as professional CDL drivers.
What is the Apprenticeship Program?
The apprenticeship program is an official, paid learning process offered by Melton Truck Lines. Our program spans 12 months and starts once the driver is hired and qualifies for admission to the program. Melton is partnered with Department of Labor intermediary, FASTPORT, which aids in providing a link for veterans to our company.
FASTPORT is a contracted Department of Labor Industry Intermediary to increase apprenticeship programs for civilian and Veteran talent. FASTPORT has a commercial co-venture with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes Program, making it a great opportunity for Veterans in the workforce.
- The driver is required to have less than 6 months experience on the road.
- The driver must complete Melton’s orientation.
- The driver must be either a trainee, student, or need a refresher course.
- If a driver terminates his or her employment, they are no longer a part of the apprenticeship program.
- Once completed, Melton drivers will receive a Certificate of Completion from the DOL.
- Apprenticeships receive guaranteed minimum pay while continuing to develop their skills as professional driver of Melton.
- Quality, proven Pre-CDL and Post-CDL training programs that observe to peak industry schooling and training standards.
- Apprentices receive hands-on training (minimum 2000 hours), ensuring improved skills and competencies as well as the potential to earn college credit toward an associate’s or bachelor’s degree.
- The apprenticeship is recognized by Veterans Affairs as an educational program so veterans may be able to access their VA educational benefits over the course of their first year as a Melton driver.
- When an apprentice completes the program, they earn a certified transferable credential accepted by industries and employers across the U.S.
Whether you are a military veteran or a driver looking for the next step in your trucking career, we are looking for drivers like you to join our program and our Melton family!