Rider policy, health insurance, and more
Bob Peterson, Melton’s Chairman and CEO states, “Our industry needs to pay drivers more for the services provided and the sacrifices they make. We want to reward our truckers not only in pay, but with great driver benefits as well. We want to make sure they have access to good medical care and coverage, as well as a solid plan for retirement.” All benefits are effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
Health Insurance and Coverage
One of Melton’s 12 Traditions is, “We count on each other to be here.” Illness, injury, and absenteeism hurt us all. We practice safe work habits and believe in a healthy lifestyle. To help everyone meet this goal, Melton offers comprehensive health coverage including:
- Medical insurance through GPA Network
- iCare PPO Plan with discounted rates
- Preventive care services covered at 100% (In Network)
- Free on-site health clinics serviced by CareATC at the Tulsa and Laredo locations
- Health concierge service through Nurse Navigator
- Flex Spending Account (FSA) from $120 to $2,500
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending up to $5,000
- Telemedicine – Professional medical assistance from anywhere
- Employee Assistance Program – Mental Health & Counseling Services
You will receive a free $20,000 life insurance policy with double indemnity provision provided to you by Melton. You can opt to purchase supplemental life insurance as well.
Short Term Disability
Melton’s short term disability covers non-work related injuries, illnesses, and pregnancy for a premium of $40.11 per month. This benefit replaces 60% of covered earnings, up to a maximum benefit of $750 per week. Benefit payments will cover up to 13 weeks of continuous disability.
Speak with your recruiter for rates based on your family’s needs by calling 866-715-8563. If you are currently employed with Melton and have questions, please contact the Benefits department.
Dental Insurance and Coverage
For more flexibility in your busy life, Melton now offers free on-site dental exams and cleanings with company insurance. Our company insurance covers the following:
- 100% preventive exams and care covered
- $50 Deductible
- 80% Basic
- 50% Major
- $1,500 Annual Maximum
- $50 Orthodontic Deductible
- $2,000 Lifetime Maximum
Vision Reimbursement Plan
Vacation pay is based on average weekly wages and is paid on a regular paycheck. You have one full year to use your earned vacation time.
- 1 week after 1 year
- 2 weeks after 2 years
- 3 weeks after 10 years
Home Christmas Day
Pet and rider programs for truckers
Driving is a difficult job, but it can be much more enjoyable when you can share your experiences with a pet or family rider. With Melton’s pet and family rider policies, drivers can have a loved one or furry companion keep them company while they are out on the road.
- You can have one (1) pet on the truck.
- Accepted Pets: Any dog that is 90-pounds or less OR a cat.
- A pet deposit of $750 is required to have a pet on board and will be deducted from your paycheck each week at $37.50 until the pet deposit is paid in full.
- You must have a Pet Pass approved by Safety before utilizing the rider policy. Please contact Melton’s Safety team at 800-656-2167 for a copy of this form.
- Anyone 18 years of age, or older, can ride with you year-round.
- Children over the age of 10 can ride with you during the summer months only.
- Rider insurance is required and offered through Melton Truck Lines at $7 per month.
- You must have a Rider Pass approved by Safety before you can begin utilizing the rider program. Please contact Melton’s Safety department for copies of these forms at 800-656-2167.
Melton Truck Lines Home Time
In addition, Melton now offers unlimited domicile changes for our drivers across the United States! *Some restrictions do apply. We understand that our drivers have family and friends that live within some of our frequently traveled lanes and that on occasion it would be nice to go to their place for home time.
Home Time Policy
- Please refer to this map for OTR home time. Drivers that live in the dark green zone are out 12-14 days at a time. Drivers that live in the light green zone are out about 21 days at a time.
- You collect one 24-hour period (day) for every seven days you are out.
- Your home time never expires! Bank your home time if you do not want to use it as you collect it.
- You can stop by the house without using any of your home time if you’re within 75 miles and can deliver your load on time.
- You are guaranteed home on Christmas Day!
- Take your home time anywhere with few exceptions! Your home domicile is not the only place you can take home time.
Take Your Home Time Anywhere
- Normal home time flags apply.
- All states are approved areas to change your home domicile for home time except for the following states: Florida, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- No domicile changes in the month of November and December.
- Christmas home time is at your main home domicile on record.
Road Warrior Program
In 2022, participating OTR drivers cashed in an average of $1,200 in Road Warrior program payouts!