Melton Truck Lines, Inc.
Military & Veterans
Military Friendly Employer
Melton is proud to be named a Military Friendly® Employer Award recipient for 2020. For more than a decade, Military Friendly® ratings have set the standard for companies demonstrating positive employment & education outcomes for military members, veterans, and their families.
Apprenticeships & On-The-Job Training
With over 30% of Melton employees having served in the military, we are always looking to hire veterans and active duty reservists.
Melton offers on-the-job training, apprenticeships, and a great career for any driver that enjoys a culture focusing on teamwork, discipline, and dedication.
Melton is proud to offer former military members and active duty reservists the opportunity to use their GI Bill benefits while enrolled in our 24-month on-the-job training program recognized by the US Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Labor. The program is based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) in Birmingham, AL. Any GI Bill eligible person with less than 20 months of driving experience could be eligible for this program.
- A veteran with full GI Bill benefits with no driving experience coming to Melton could receive up to $24,396 from the VA over his/her first two years at Melton in addition to our Melton pay package.
- A veteran with 19 months of experience and GI Bill benefits could still be enrolled for five months to complete the program and receive up to an additional $581 per month from the VA.
Determine what your monthly benefit from the VA would be if you come to our company here.
- Enter your military history
- Select Employers (On-the-job training or OJT, apprenticeships)
- Add Melton Truck Lines Inc. as the school (it should pop up as a selection option when you start typing)
Melton has a fleet of four military themed trucks that bring awareness and recognition to Melton’s military community. All Melton military members and veterans enjoy special decals for their trucks. We have a longstanding history of recruiting servicemen and women and helping with their transition back to civilian life.
Whether you are a military veteran or a driver looking for the next step in your career, we are looking for drivers like you to join our fleet and our family.
Melton Truck Lines believes that it is our duty to provide America’s veterans and transitioning service members with access to great careers in an industry where they fit in so well, Bob Peterson, Melton Chairman and CEO, said. We have found that the military culture and our company culture are linked with connection points that include the value of teamwork, discipline, dedication, and an adventurous spirit. With those shared values, servicemen and women are set up for incredible success with Melton, and we are excited to help them find their career with us.”
Besides the VA kit, there are several other places to get resources. Continue to learn more about other organizations and more specific benefits.
Veteran Organizations & Groups:
- VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars)
- Veterans in Trucking
- DAV (Disabled American Veterans)
- Military OneSource
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Veterans Advantage
- Operation Second Chance
- Yellow Ribbon Fund
- Gary Sinise Foundation
Health and Wellness
Driving OTR can be tough mentally and physically so we want our Veterans to have quick access to important resources. You can find great material (handouts, articles, contact information, etc.) on ways to improve your mental and physical health below:
- VA Mental Health (Variety of Mental Health services & information)
- Suicide Prevention Information
- Veteran Crisis Line (call, text, or chat 24/7 and free of cost)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Veterans Families United (Wellness resources and important hotlines)
- VA Move (Downloadable or printable handouts on fitness and nutrition)
- VA Nutrition Guidelines (Blogs, recipes, and nutritional facts)
- VA Quit Tobacco (Resources to help veterans quit substance use, smoking, and other forms of tobacco)
On top of great organizations, we have many companies, large and small, who have fantastic discounts for our Veteran Heroes. Below is a list of sites that offer awesome Veteran discounts or list places that do:
- Vet Tix (Free tickets to all types of events)
- Deal Hack (Military Discount Guide)
- Deal News (2020 Military Discounts)
- The Military Wallet (Military Discounts & General Rules about Discounts)
Melton Veteran Benefits
Melton has also found several ways to show appreciation and aid our Veteran OTR drivers. Below is a glimpse of some of the fantastic benefits we utilize to support these brave men and women.
- Melton offers a 24-month OJT program through the VA, which allows veterans access to their military benefits.
- During orientation, we honor the Veterans in the class by presenting them with Melton Military Challenge Coins.
- Provide a Military Pride decals at our shops, to showcase military appreciation and pride OTR.
- Currently, we have 5 wrapped Military trucks that we offer to Veterans through contests at various times.
- Melton Veteran Resource Group is a public group on Facebook where Veteran drivers can share comradely and our Driver Services team posts useful information for Veterans.