Military Friendly Employer
Apprenticeship Program & On-the-Job Flatbed Training for Veterans
With over 30% of Melton employees having served in the military, we are always looking to hire veterans and active duty reservists.
Melton veteran driving jobs offer on-the-job flatbed training, apprenticeship programs, and a great career for any veteran that enjoys a culture focusing on teamwork, discipline, and dedication. Our extensive programs and veteran resources make Melton one of the best truck driving companies for veterans.
We are a veteran-ready company with a strong veteran focus, dedicated Military Team, and Veteran Resource Group that is designed to support veterans during their transition back into the civilian workforce. Melton’s commitment to creating great career opportunities and benefits for servicemen and women has resulted in continued recognition from many military organizations, such as The Military Times Best For Vets: Employers Award.
Melton is proud to offer former military members and active duty reservists the opportunity to use their GI Bill® benefits while enrolled in our 24-month on-the-job (OJT) flatbed training program for veterans, recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Labor. The program is based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) in Birmingham, AL. Any GI Bill® eligible person with less than 20 months of driving experience could be eligible for this program.
- A veteran with full GI Bill® benefits with no driving experience coming to Melton could receive BAH starting at $1,578 per month from the VA over his/her first two years at Melton on top of our Melton pay package.
- A veteran with 19 months of experience and GI Bill® benefits could still be enrolled for five months to complete the program and receive up to an additional $631 per month in BAH from the VA.
Determine what your monthly benefit from the VA would be if you come to our company here.
- Enter your military history
- Select Employers (On-the-job training or OJT, apprenticeships)
- Add Melton Truck Lines Inc. as the school (it should pop up as a selection option when you start typing)
Melton has a fleet of military themed trucks that bring awareness and recognition to Melton’s military community. All Melton military members and veterans enjoy special decals for their trucks. As a military friendly trucking company, we have a longstanding history of recruiting servicemen and women and helping with their transition back to civilian life.
Whether you are a military veteran or a driver looking for the next step in your career, we are looking for drivers like you to join our fleet and our family.
Veteran Organizations & Groups:
- VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars)
- Veterans in Trucking
- DAV (Disabled American Veterans)
- Military OneSource
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Veterans Advantage
- Operation Second Chance
- Yellow Ribbon Fund
- Gary Sinise Foundation
Health and Wellness
Driving OTR can be tough mentally and physically so we want our Veterans to have quick access to important resources. You can find great material (handouts, articles, contact information, etc.) on ways to improve your mental and physical health below:
- VA Mental Health (Variety of Mental Health services & information)
- Suicide Prevention Information
- Veteran Crisis Line (call, text, or chat 24/7 and free of cost)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Veterans Families United (Wellness resources and important hotlines)
- VA Move (Downloadable or printable handouts on fitness and nutrition)
- VA Nutrition Guidelines (Blogs, recipes, and nutritional facts)
- VA Quit Tobacco (Resources to help veterans quit substance use, smoking, and other forms of tobacco)
On top of great organizations, we have many companies, large and small, who have fantastic discounts for our Veteran Heroes. Below is a list of sites that offer awesome Veteran discounts or list places that do: